1 John 5:6-12
Knowing you Know God!
6. “This is the One who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ; not with the water only but with the water and with the blood. It is the Spirit who testifies because the spirit is truth.”
3 applications can be made
– Birth- Jesus was a man, and He came by water and blood. At birth- There is a whole lot of water…and a Whole lot of blood. This signifies that Jesus was a man.
– Baptism and The Cross- Gnosticism was around then, and John had addressed them earlier in 1 John 4:1-3. It was a common belief that Gnostics had that Christ came upon the man of Jesus at His baptism and left Him before death on the cross. This attacks Jesus’s Humanity which attacks His supreme role and sacrifice. This is a false teaching.
– The pierced side on the cross: John 19:34. Water and blood came from his side. There are many medical speculations to this. One that I hold to is that the physical death of Christ resulted from rupture of the heart, and that the cavities of the heart and the surrounding-vessels contained a watery fluid. When the lance broke the skin and hit the heart water and blood came out. The significance here is that the payment for our Sins was complete. “IT IS FINISHED!” John 19:30!
My view on this passage: The water signifies Jesus’ Baptism, and the Blood Signifies the Cross. All three points can be interpreted, and all of them can give the text a vibrant outlook on Jesus as Christ! But I feel John was addressing the importance of Jesus’ baptism and death.
The Spirit is the Holy Spirit that Testifies to Christ being a man, a God, and the Sacrifice for our sins.
7-8.”For there are three that Testify: the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.”
There are three that testify The spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.
(His Baptism, the cross) and The Spirit are all in agreement concerning Jesus Christ.
9. “If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater; for the testimony of God is this, that He has testified concerning His son.”
Now we have a fourth testimony: God. He testified concerning His son.
- God- The Spirit
- God-The Father
10. “The one who believes in the Son of God has the Testimony in himself; the one who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has given concerning His son. “
Now we have a fifth testimony.
- The water
- The blood
- The Spirit
- The Father
- The one who believes in Jesus Christ
Whoever believes in Jesus has the Testimony in himself. Whoever does not believe in God has made Him a liar. It’s a choice given by God. I ask you right now believe! How can you know you believe? Do not be lead astray by the things of this world, by the logic of men, or by the horrible example American Christianity produces.
John 3:18-20.“18 He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.19 This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.”
What is the testimony?
11-12 “The testimony is this- That God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.”
This whole passage of testimonies leads to this that God has given us eternal life through His Son, Jesus Christ. Believe in Christ and allow the testimony to dwell within you. And because all that testify are in agreement with each other, you will have eternal life because of who Christ is and what He did.
Let’s examine based on all of 1 John where we stand. Answering these questions can confirm whether or not we know God.
-Are you walking in the light, or in the darkness?
-Are you truly abiding in Christ?
– Are you deceived by false teaching?
– Do you Confess that Jesus is Lord?
– Do you love God?
– Do you love others?
– Do you keep His commandments?
-Do you rebuke the sin in your brother’s life?
– Do you abstain from Idols?
A word of warning while answering these questions. Answering No to any of these questions could mean one of two things:
1. You do not know God. You can’t worship and believe in a God you don’t Know.
2. You are a true believer, and either through immaturity or lack of discipline there are some areas in your life that need much attention and prayer.