5) This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in HIm there is no darkness at all.
6) If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness we lie and do not practice the truth;
7) but if we walk in the Light as He himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His son cleanses us from all sin.
8) If we say that we have no sin, We are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9) If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10) If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.
Let’s examine what it means to Live in the Light so as to fully understand our responsibility as a Christian..
A) GOD IS LIGHT (v5)
This is the first and primary point we must understand before we can continue.
Imagine for a moment a world without light. Night isn’t that world because Night has light. You can even close your eyes to help but even that isn’t true darkness because of the light that’s in the room. How difficult would it be if all of light ceased to exist. We suddenly start to see how important light is. That is the value God holds, whether you want to believe it or not. Survival would be impossible if it were not for light, just like survival for mankind is imminent death without God. I’m not stating that God is like light, just making an alternate statement. God is light.
A great witnessing point is the power light holds over darkness. It’s a revelation only a believer can fully understand. But it has proved useful in my own life.
The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. (John 1:5)
B) Avoid Deception (v 6,8,10)
Because God is light, you can not dwell in the light and in darkness.
There are 3 types of Christians that we commonly see.
1. The Christian that is sold out for Christ. Consistently spends time with the Lord, and focuses on becoming more and more like Christ each day.
2. The Christian that is a non-believer that was fooled. i.e. sinner’s prayer, good person salvation, etc..
3. The Christian that knows their sin, but is to lazy to obey scripture and repent of it.
This is what John is saying. You can not live in the light and darkness. Don’t be deceived.
For everyone who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God. (John 3:20-21)
John states that those who practice the truth comes to the Light. He doesn’t say perfect the truth then comes to the light.
When we come before the Lord we must realize that there is no hiding.
We can look at the early accounts of man in Genesis 3 that God created man naked. When they sinned their nakedness was revealed and they felt shame. They made for themselves clothes from fig leaves.God knew what they had done, and man’s first instinct was to cover themselves in the Light. God killed an innocent lamb to cover their nakedness. This is beautiful foreshadowing.
Because we live in the Light we can see what the darkness hides. Areas of sin we had no idea existed will be exposed, it’s scary and like Adam and eve, you will feel vulnerable but it’s worth it.
Human nature wants to present itself as having it all together. Not having one flaw. But in verse 10 John writes if we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us. It isn’t until we come to a level of brokenness that we can say that His word is in us, He is not a Liar, and we have sinned.
(Take note Ephesians 5:13-16)
C) Live in the Light (v7,9)
Even after our regenerated nature, our bodies still sin. How then can we who sin live in the Light?
The only way we can walk in the Light is if our sins are covered with the blood of Jesus by confessing our sins. The moment we try to hide our sins we are no longer living in the Light but are true natives of the Darkness.
Jesus said, “No man can serve two masters…” (Luke 16:13)
In conclusion, Being since GOD is LIGHT, Don’t be deceived, Living in the light requires an act on your part in rejecting the darkness…this may look differently for different people.